Welcome back to another instalment of Cocktails & Convos where we dive into why I love imposter syndrome.
Garden Party Margarita Recipe
• 90 ml (3 oz) blanco tequila
• Juice of 1 lime (approx 60 ml / 2 oz)
• 60 ml (2 oz) spicy cucumber juice *see notes
• 15 ml (½ oz) honey syrup *see notes
• Salt and 1 jalapeño slice to garnish.
Spicy Cucumber Juice
In a blender, blitz 1 Persian cucumber and half a jalapeño with a dash of water. Strain to remove pulp.
In a heat-proof bowl, place 2 tsp of honey and top with 2 tsp of boiling water. Stir carefully until honey has dissolved.
• Cocktail shaker (or a glass jar with a screw-top lid)
• Short glass and ice cubes to serve
Imposter syndrome can show up as doubting your magic and feeling like a fraud.
And it disproportionally affects high-performing women in business when:
- We’re out of our comfort zone
- We have to work for something
- Things come too easily, so we diminish our value and talent
It creates voices in your head that undermines your abilities or can fill you with fear, such as:
“You’re not qualified”
“You can’t do this”
Imposter Syndrome can manifest as:
- Perfectionism (for me, it shows up as hiding behind menial tasks in my business so I’m “too busy” to show up and sell)
- Feeling like “everyone else” has the answers except for you
The last time I felt imposter syndrome was this…. morning as I prepped for this conversation. It’s always present during my day depending on what I am doing and it has the power to derail our days.
How did I get through these thoughts? I acknowledged them and worked through them. It’s a step to be incredibly proud of.
Why I love it
Waiting for the “right moment” doesn’t exist. The decision to go all-in will never come from a place of comfort.
If you’re staying in your comfort zone and not continuing to expand.
It only comes as you are expanding to the next level and it is totally normal. If you stay stuck or hide then you wouldn’t feel imposter syndrome. It happens when you are taking your business to the next level.
Three steps to learning to love imposter syndrome
- Acknowledging the thoughts
- Reframing them
- Remind yourself that you’re worthy of all of it.